MBBS in Russia: Eligibility, Advantages, Cost, Procedure and Disadvantages
A lot of students are study MBBS in Russia, because of the gaining popularity and low cost of study. The expense of studying in Russia is lower as compared to the other European countries. As per a survey Russia is among the eight top study destinations for Indian and international students. The level of education in Russia for MBBS and other medical courses is good which makes it one of the most favoured countries. The medical universities are recognised by WHO, Medical Council of India, European Council and many other such councils. In this article at MBBS Sahayata, I am going to talk about some key factors that you must know before enrolling yourself in MBBS courses in Russia.
I will be sharing the details regarding the eligibility, advantages, cost of studies, and procedure of admission and the disadvantages of studying MBBS in Russia. You must have read about the benefits and advantages of studying medicine Russia from multiple sources and consultancies, but I would really urge you that you must also read these disadvantages that I’ll be sharing. Because it’s your child’s education and career. Everything may not be as rosey as it seems. Having said that, let’s take a look.
Also do read about the best MBBS Universities in Russia for Indian Students.
Why study MBBS in Russia? Is Studying MBBS in Russia worth it?
This is the most important question that a lot of students and parents ask before choosing the country. Clearly, MBBS colleges in Russia are not that expensive as compared to Indian private medical colleges.
- The overall total budget for studying MBBS in Russia can be anywhere between 15-30 Lakhs for an entire 6 years MBBS course term.
- MBBS course fees in Russia is also very affordable because the MBBS tuition fee in Russia has been subsidized by the Russian education ministry.
- Other than that, Russia is also not a very expensive country to live in. Expenses other than the study cost like food, clothes, lifestyle, and many other such expenses are also in budget and affordable.
- Unlike the European countries, Russia is far more in budget for most of the Indian students pursuing Russia MBBS. (unless they don’t manage their funds wisely, I’ll let you know what does that mean).
- There are lots of different universities, where the MBBS courses are taught in English and Russian. This mean that Indian students have this is to study MBBS in English. However during the last three years they would be need to learn Russian language as during the internship, they have to speak with the local patients so, they should know the language.
- The total duration of the MBBS course is 6 years in all medical universities in Russia that includes one year of internship.
- To reserve a seat in the MBBS courses in Russian universities, Indian students need not to appear for any entrance test. Just by meeting the basic eligibility criteria they can get a seat for themselves.
- Moreover there are no donations. The easy admission process and good accommodation with well equipped rooms makes student work hard on their studies.
- Students in Russia are also trained for MCI screening test so, that they can pass the FMG Exam, once they return back in India, on completing their degree from Russian medical universities.
- The medical universities of Russia focus both on the theoretical and practical aspects of education for students.
- Having said that, students will have several global contacts by being in touch with the other international students.
- Indian food is also available in many Russian medical universities, though you are given an option to cook your own food in the kitchens allotted.
Now let’s check criteria to get admission in MBBS courses in Russia.
Eligibility for MBBS in Russia
- Interested Students must pass 12th Standard with a minimum of 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- 40% Marks for the SC/ST and OBC.
- English is a mandatory subject.
- The candidate must have completed 17 years of age on or before 31st December of the year of admission.
- Candidate must qualify in NEET EXAM.
Course and Session Detail: MBBS in Russia
Academic year in Russian medical colleges start from 1st September. There are 2 semesters in an academic year.
1st semester is from September to January, while the 2nd semester starts from February to June. Examinations are held in January month for 1st semester whereas second-semester exams are held in June.
- Winter vacation is from 20th January to 7th February
- Summer vacation is from 15th July to 31st August
Now after the eligibility criteria, it’s time to know which are the documents required to study MBBS in Russia?
Document Required For MBBS Admissions in Russia
- 10th Mark sheet Scanned Copy
- 12th Mark sheet Scanned Copy
- School Leaving Certificate Scanned Copy
- Passport Copy
- Few other documents may also be required
- 6 Recent Passport size photographs
Let’s check what is the admission procedure for MBBS in Russia
Admission Procedure For Admission in Russia for MBBS
Once you are interested in a particular University you can book your seat. Taking direct admissions and doing everything by yourself can be quite hectic. therefore, consultants can do that for you. would be better. However you need to make sure that they should be genuine.
- You’ve to first submit your documents to the consultant, and they will fill up admission form on your behalf or you would have to do it and send it to the consultant.
- Once you have filled the admission form it would be sent over to the university so that they can reserve a seat or book a letter of confirmation and copy of the documents that you have submitted.
- After getting the invitation or confirmation letter, now you have to pay some amount to the consultant, to let them apply for the student visa for you and book air tickets.
- Once the visa is applied, it takes around 45-60 days and you get the visa.
- After that, it’s time to fly for Russia.
- On a dedicated day along with your required stuff and documents you can fly to Russia. There you’ll need to fulfil few formalities and then pay the fees.
IMPORTANT: I would strongly suggest that you always pay your fees at the University yourself. There are several agents who’d take the entire fees from you and then do not show up or won’t pay it to the university. Yes, fraud people can be everywhere. So, please be aware.
Please know that the MBBS admissions in Russian universities are subject to First Come First serve basis, which means that you have to admissions as soon as you decide, else the top universities can get filled up. Because every year thousands of students apply for these top Universities and if you are not applying on time then you would lose out on your concerned University.
It can take a total of 45 to 60 days for the visa approval from the ministry. Therefore, be patient however keep in touch with the consultant as to know the status of your visa.
Now that you know the procedure of admissions in MBBS in Russia, let’s know the cost, expenses incurred to study medicine in Russian universities.
As I already told you, that total cost for 6 years course of MBBS in Russian universities would be somewhere between 14 lakhs to 25 lakhs. And this amount varies from University to University. The universities which are bilingual that means University where you have to study medicine in English in first three years and the last three years would be in Russian language would have nominal fee.
However universities with full term English courses would have higher fees. So, in anyways you have to learn the language to complete your internship, there are universities where are you would be charged more than 30 lakhs for 6 years terms.
These are the high class universities that also require NEET Exam score of 200+ and 70% in PCB in class 12.
Therefore, as per your budget you can choose the University. As the classes start from October 1st every year the application deadline is 15th of August.
MBBS In Russia Syllabus And Course Structure
While the syllabus of MBBS in Russia and India may differ a little bit, the course is similar.
The basic teaching methods at the University the following:
- Small group discussions
- Practical and lab work
- Clinically Training
First to Third Year: The first three years of the MBBS syllabus in MBBS from Russia focuses more on the basic understanding of the human biology and anatomy. In the third year, you will also be introduced to subjects, where the students would learn about the metabolism chemical substances clinical significance.
Fourth To 6th Year: 4th 5th and 6th year of the MBBS curriculum in Russia, comprises of the knowledge that students have acquired in the first phase. The key subjects would be Surgery, Obstetric, Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Emergency Medicine and Internal Medicine. In this phase, more time would be given to surgery, primary care, clinical training and practicals.
- 1st Semester: Anatomy
- 2nd Semester: Anatomy and Histology
- 1st Semester: Histology, Anatomy, Bio-Chemistry, and Physiology
- 2nd Semester: Bio-Chemistry, Physiology, and Micro-Biology
- 1st Semester: Pathology, Micro-Biology, Pharmacology, and Pathophysiology
- 2nd Semester: Pathophysiology, Pathology, and Pharmacology
Fourth Year to Sixth Year
Clinical Subjects and Clinical Postings
Subjects such as Oncology, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Psychology, Pediatrics, General Surgery, Gynecology, ENT, Emergency Medicine, and Cardiology are some of the subjects taught during fourth to the sixth year of MBBS in Russia.
Now for the disadvantages and challenges faced by students in Russia during MBBS, please read here and I would suggest that you must read this article and then decide.